Cottage pie recipe
Egg free, Gluten free, Nut free
- 800g potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 25g butter
- 1/3 cup milk
- ½ cup tasty cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 600g beef mince (I use the ‘heart smart’ mince as it has less fat)
- 1 medium brown onion, peeled and finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ cup carrot, peeled and small dice
- ½ cup celery, small dice
- 1 cup mushrooms, diced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 ½ tablespoons Gravox Traditional gravy powder
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 200°C and butter a 23cm pie dish.
To prepare the potatoes, place them in a large saucepan of cold water and bring to the boil, cook until the potatoes are soft.
Strain water out; add butter and milk then mash until smooth. Add cheese and fold through. Place to the side until needed.
To prepare the meat, heat a large frying pan on high heat until very hot.
Add oil, crumble in mince, season with salt and pepper and stir to brown meat. Cook until all meat juice has evaporated, stirring occasionally.
Add onions and garlic, sauté for 1-2 minutes. Add vegetables and cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add Worcestershire sauce, oregano and bay leaves stirring to combine.
Combine Gravox gravy powder and warm water together in a jug, stir out lumps then pour into beef mince mixture.
Stir to combine thoroughly. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat, check seasoning, remove bay leaves then put mixture into the greased pie dish.
Pipe or spoon on mashed potato, making sure to cover the meat mixture entirely, then place into the oven for 30 minutes.
Remove and rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- This is a tried and true recipe that is usually made with lamb mince, however beef mince works really well too.
- This was the perfect amount for my family of four and I served it with a fresh green salad.
Recipe created by Camilla Baker for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.