Chewy meringue and mango sorbet cake recipe
This chewy meringue and mango sorbet cake has all the flavours of summer and is the perfect dessert for any summer occasion.
- 3 egg whites
- ¾ cup (175g) caster sugar
- 1 litre mango sorbet
- ¼ small pineapple, cut into thin wedges
- 1 passionfruit, halved
- fresh mint leaves, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 120°C/100°C fan-forced. Line 2 large baking trays with baking paper. Trace three 10cm x 20cm rectangles on the paper. Turn paper over.
2. Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition, until sugar dissolves and mixture is thick and glossy. Spoon mixture evenly onto the 3 rectangles on prepared trays, spreading with a spatula to level. Bake for 1 hour, swapping trays halfway during cooking or until meringue is firm, but not browned. Turn oven off. Cool for at least 1 hour in oven with door ajar.
3. Place 1 meringue on a plate. Scoop one-third of the sorbet onto meringue. Top with another meringue. Scoop half the remaining sorbet onto meringue and top with remaining meringue. Scoop remaining sorbet onto meringue and decorate with pineapple, passionfruit and mint leaves. Serve immediately.
- You can make the meringues ahead of time and leave to cool in the oven overnight.
- NUTRITION (per serve) 777kJ; 0.1g fat; 0.01g sat fat; 1.9g protein; 44g carbs; 0.8g fibre; 0mg chol; 24mg sodium.
- This recipe originally appeared in Super Food Ideas. Recipe Kim Coverdale. Photography Sam McAdam-Cooper.