Paleo lettuce cups recipe
These delicious lettuce cups are filled with pork or chicken mince. Your kids will love wrapping up their own dinner tonight.
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 knob ginger, minced
- 1 tsp chilli flakes or chilli, finely chopped (optional)
- 4 large mushroom cups, finely diced
- 1/2 medium zucchini, finely grated
- 700g free range pork or chicken mince
- 1/2 tsp pink salt
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos (soy sauce alternative)
- 1 cos or iceberg lettuce, washed and leaves separated
- juice of one lime (to serve)
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 bunch coriander, chopped
Heat coconut oil in a pan. Add red onion, garlic, ginger and chilli (if using); sauté until the onion has turned translucent. Add the mushrooms and zucchini and stir until just tender.
Add the mince and stir until it is cooked through. Once browned, add the salt and coconut aminos and continue to stir to reduce any excess liquid from the vegetables.
Divide lettuce leaves among serving plates. Spoon mince into the lettuce cups and top with a little lime juice, cherry tomatoes and coriander.
- If using coriander, you could wash the roots under running water, chop finely and add to the onion mixture at the start for an extra flavour boost. Reserve the leaves and stalks for serving.
- You will find pink salt at your local supermarket.
- You can also make this BBQ beef san choi bao to eat in lettuce cups.
- You will get a flavour boost with these delicious Hoisin chicken lettuce cups.
- This traditional Waldorf salad can also be served in these lettuce cups.
- You could also try this Chicken in lettuce cups recipe for another flavour sensation.
- This recipe was created by Erin Wright for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.