Honey and tea ice cream recipe
Try this delicious creamy ice cream for a frozen family treat! The warmness of honey and brown sugar complements the ice cream beautifully, and is enhanced by the gentle flavours of tea. Plus, it's so easy to make - just pop the mixture into your ice cream maker and you're pretty much done!
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¼ cup loose leaf tea
- 9 large egg yolks
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup honey
- 1 x ice cream maker (or see notes below if you don't have one)
Combine the cream and milk in a heavy-based medium saucepan.
Bring to a gentle simmer over a medium heat, then add the tea and remove from the heat. Cover and steep for 15 minutes.
Place the egg yolks, sugar and honey in a large bowl and whisk for 2 to 3 minutes or until the mixture is thick and creamy.
Gradually whisk the milk mixture into the egg mixture to blend.
Return the custard to the same saucepan.
Cook the custard over a medium to low heat, stirring constantly, for about 10 minutes, or until the custard coats the back of the spoon. Do not allow the custard to boil or it will curdle.
Strain the mixture through a fine-meshed sieve and into a large bowl.
Set the bowl of ice cream base over another large bowl of ice water and stir the mixture until it is cold.
Pour the chilled mixture into ice cream maker and process according to instructions or until almost set, remove ice cream from machine to a storage container and freeze ice cream covered until serving.
- If you don't have an ice cream maker at home you can still make this delicious ice cream. An ice cream maker breaks up the icey crystals to make the ice cream smoother as it freezes. You do the same thing by removing it from the freezer every half and hour for 2 hours and giving it a vigourous stir. After 2 hours it is usually close to frozen and ready to eat.
- Make sure that you do chill your mixture before putting it into the freezer. Otherwise it will raise the temperature of the freezer and it's contents.
- This recipe is ideal when you have a dinner party and want to make something a little bit special.
- This recipe was created by Coles Australia.