Homemade sweetened condensed milk recipe
Have you ever needed a tin of condensed milk but didn't have one in the pantry? Well you can make your own homemade sweetened condensed milk using this recipe which is equal to one 395g tin.
- 1 cup skim milk powder
- 2/3 sugar
- 2 tbs butter
- 1/3 cup water (hot)
In a bowl combine the milk powder and sugar.
In a cup, stir the butter into the hot water until the butter is melted.
Pour the water into the dry mixture.
Using a mixer, beat until the mixture is smooth. Cool and use.
- You will need to use this sweetened condensed milk as soon as possible as it doesn't store very well.
- If the consistency is a little runnier than you expected give the mixture some time to cool as it thickens as it cools.
- We used full cream milk powder but you can also use skim milk powder.
- If you don't have any butter them you can use table margarine as a substitute.
- If you are allergic to dairy then you may replace the full cream milk powder with soy milk powder in the same quantities.
- This is a great budget recipe as it works out significantly cheaper than tinned sweetened condensed milk.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.