Summer barbecue burgers recipe
These tasty burgers are very simple, very delicious and an easy way to entertain a big group of kids and adults if friends stop by.
- 450 g beef topside (minced)
- 4 slice gouda cheese
- 4 crusty bread roll
- 1 cos lettuce (washed, shredded)
- 100 g cornichons (halved lengthways)
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 3 tbs mayonnaise
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tbs worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
Using your hands, season the mince in a large bowl and gently form into patties, about 2cm thick and 6cm in diameter. Be gentle and don’t ‘work’ the mince too much, as this can make the patties tough.
Heat the barbecue to high. Cook patties for 2 minutes on one side then turn over and place a slice of cheese on each pattie and cook for another 2 minutes. Meanwhile, place the bread roll halves on the other side of the barbecue plate to toast up a little.
Make the pink sauce. Place all ingredients in a small mixing bowl, stir to combine and season to taste.
When ready to serve, put all of the fillings out for your guests to build their own burgers or do it for them; place some lettuce on each half bread roll, top with a pattie, a few cornichon halves and a dollop of pink sauce. Close with the bread roll lids and hand around lots of napkins.
- Use lamb mince if you prefer and add some chopped rosemary and mint to the meat mix.
- If you can't get Gouda cheese, just use any hard, mild cheese.
- Serve with sweet potato chips, if liked.
- These Double burgers are just like a Big Mac in size but with the added salad.
- If you want to make a healthier version you can try these Healthy hamburgers.
- You can also try one of our other copycat burger recipes, Homemade KFC burgers. They are a delicious alternative to the drive-through.
- If you like lamb then these Spring lamb burgers are a great treat for party platters.
- These Tex Mex burgers have a Mexican spin on flavour with all the convenience of a burger.
- If you love the flavour of peanut Satay then try these Satay chicken burgers. They are perfect in mini form too.
- These Portuguese chicken burgers taste just like Oporto burgers and you can control the amount of spice that you like.
- Are you looking for a delicious vegetarian alternative to beef burgers? Try these Mushroom pesto burgers.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.