Slow cooker corned beef recipe
Slow cooker corned beef is a really easy way to have dinner ready when you get home. Make this recipe and you will know why this is a timeless favourite.
- 1 piece corned silverside (11/2 - 2kg)
- 10 peppercorns
- 1/2 cup malt vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 onion
- 10 cloves
- 1 carrot, roughly chopped
- 2 sticks celery, roughly chopped
Peel onion and halve it, leaving the root intact. Press five cloves into each half.
Place meat in the slow cooker. Add onions, peppercorns, carrot and celery.
Pour in malt vinegar and enough hot water to cover the meat. Cook on the high setting for 4-5 hours, or on low for 6-8 hours.
Remove meat from cooking liquid. Carve into thick slices and serve with vegetables and white sauce.
- This is perfect served with potatoes and cauliflower with white sauce.
- You can leave it to cool if you want really thin slices. It helps it stretch further.
- If your family loved this corned beef, try slow cooker beef which is cooked in a delicious red wine and mushroom gravy.
- Corned beef is a great budget dinner to make as it's economical to buy and usually delivers leftover sandwich meat for days to come. For more great budget meals, try Irish lamb stew which uses cheap lamb forequarter chops and fall-off-the-bone slow cooked lamb shanks.
- It’s amazing what you can make in your slow cooker. Slow cooker lasagne couldn’t be easier to make and pumpkin soup that’s been simmering all day is simply beautiful.
- Don't put that slow cooker away after making this corned beef! Try creamy chicken casserole, slow cooker chicken casserole or this amazing butter chicken tomorrow night.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.