Grilled pineapple with chilli lime sprinkle recipe
Grilled pineapple is always popular on the barbecue, but you'll love this fresh take with a lovely sweet salty sprinkle. Here's how to make this refreshing side dish for your next barbecue
- 1 tbs caster sugar
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1 tsp chilli (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp mint (finely sliced)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 pineapple (peeled, cored)
- spray oil spray
In a small bowl, mix the caster sugar, lime zest, chilli, mint leaves and salt together and set aside.
Heat a barbecue hot plate (or frying pan if cooking inside) to medium.
While barbecue is heating, slice pineapple. You can leave in rings, slice in halves, wedges – however you want your plate to look.
Spray each pineapple slice with oil and add to the hot plate.
Cook for 1-2 minutes per side before removing, placing on a plate and sprinkling with chilli lime sugar.
- The larger the chilli, the less heat they have (generally). By choosing a large red chilli for this recipe, you have the lovely chilli taste and a little bit of heat without blowing your head off! If you like loads of heat though, choose a smaller chilli and go for it.
- Served on a large platter with the sprinkle already sprinkled or as individual portions with the sprinkle on the side, this makes an exotic yet easy addition to any table.
- This recipe was created by Jay Rogers for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.