Poppy seed cake with roasted vanilla and rosemary oranges recipe
Rosemary and citrus is a classic pairing that’s usually applied to savoury dishes but in this recipe, they're a combination that take a poppy seed cake to new heights of deliciousness.
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup poppy seeds
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 orange (zested, juiced)
- 2 1/2 cup self-raising flour
Vanilla roasted citrus
- 2 orange (segmented)
- 2 mandarin (segmented)
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced) and grease a 26cm cake tin.
Combine the buttermilk and poppy seeds in a bowl and set aside while you make the cake batter.
Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Fold in the zest, juice and poppy seed buttermilk. Fold through the flour and spoon the mixture into pre-prepared cake tin and bake for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, to make the vanilla roasted citrus, place all ingredients except for the rosemary in a bowl. Mix well so everything is really well combined. Lay out two pieces of baking paper on top of each other and place the citrus in a little pile in the very middle. Wrap up like a little present and tie together with kitchen string. Place on a baking tray and add to the oven for the cake’s last 15 minutes of baking.
Once the cake is cooked, let cool on a wire rack and then place on a serving platter or plate. Remove the citrus from the oven, unwrap and then tip it straight over the cake. Serve with ice cream or cream.
- If you are a grapefruit person then by all means add one or two to your fruit parcel before you bake it.
- This little package would be beautiful for breakfast with granola or as a topping for a vanilla panna cotta.
- This recipe was created by Sophie Hansen for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.
Find more delicious cake recipes:
- 3 ingredient pineapple cake
- Banana cake
- Banana cake with butter frosting
- Banana cake with lemon icing
- Carrot cake
- Cinnamon tea cake
- Coconut cake
- Easter basket chocolate cake
- Easy banana cake
- Easy chocolate cake
- Lumberjack cake
- Peach and raspberry upside down cake
- Everyday chocolate cake
- Orange cake with orange icing