Hearty meatball soup recipe
Hearty, healthy and low fat, this soup will keep the whole family warm in winter.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion (finely sliced)
- 2 garlic clove (minced)
- 2 celery stalk (sliced)
- 1 carrot (large, diced)
- 400 g canned diced tomato
- 1 1/2 cup passata
- 2 cup vegetable stock (liquid)
- 2 cup water
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp sage
- 1 tsp basil
- 2 tsp sugar
- 500 g lean pork mince
- 1 onion (small, finely chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1/3 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
Heat oil in a large saucepan and add onion, garlic, celery and carrot with a pinch of salt.
Cook on medium-low for 10 minutes until vegetables are soft.
Add remaining soup ingredients and bring to a simmer. Simmer gently for 15-20 minutes.
While soup is simmering, make the meatballs. Mix mince, onion and garlic together.
Add breadcrumbs and egg and season with salt and pepper.
Mix ingredients together and make meatballs using a heaped teaspoonful of mixture each.
Place meatballs into the simmering soup and turn the heat up a little to bring the soup back to a simmer.
Simmer for 20 minutes and serve in big bowls with a sprinkling of fresh parsley.
- This meatball soup is healthy, low-fat and low-calorie. Great for everyone in the family, it’s loaded with vegetables, herbs and extra lean meatballs.
- Feel free to use extra lean beef mince if you prefer, instead of the pork.
- This recipe was created by Jay Rogers for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.