Creamy fish pie recipe
What could be better than a creamy fish pie topped with mashed potato? This recipe is healthy and comforting: cook it tonight and keep everyone in the family happy.
- 800 g potato (chopped)
- 1/4 cup light milk
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 celery stick (sliced)
- 1 onion (large, grated)
- 1 carrot (large, grated)
- 1 zucchini (large, grated)
- 1 cup peas
- 180 g white cabbage (roughly chopped)
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock (liquid)
- 2 tbs light cream
- 1/2 cup parsley (chopped)
- 600 g white fish fillet (cubed)
- 200 g smoked cod (cubed)
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat tasty cheese (grated)
Heat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced) and lightly spray a large casserole dish with oil.
Place potatoes in a medium-large saucepan, cover with water, season with a little salt and bring to the boil.
Reduce heat and simmer potatoes for about 10-12 minutes until soft and ready for mashing.
Mash potatoes well, adding milk to loosen the mixture.
While potatoes are cooking, heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan and add celery, onion, carrot and zucchini with a pinch of salt. Cook vegetables on medium-low heat for 5 minutes until softened.
Add peas, cabbage and stock and continue to cook for a further 2 minutes.
Add cream and parsley and season with salt and pepper.
Toss through fish and pour into prepared casserole dish. Top with mashed potato, sprinkle with cheese and bake for 40 minutes until golden and bubbling. Serve with a big green salad or your favourite vegetables.
- This creamy fish pie recipe is low in fat and calories and high in vitamins, minerals and all things healthy.
- Make sure you use a firm white fish that’s not too ‘fishy’ (one that has a mild taste).
- This recipe was created by Jay Rogers for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.