Apple and avocado winter salad recipe
Juicy apple, creamy avocado and the crunch of roasted almonds mingle to make this one salad that you will want to eat this winter.
- 1/4 cup almonds (skin on)
- 1 tbs honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp mixed spice (*optional)
- 1 apple (large, peeled, cored, diced)
- 1/2 avocado (large, diced, flesh removed)
Preheat oven to 160°C (140°C fan-forced) and line a cookie tray with baking paper.
Spread almonds out and dry bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
Once cooled, chop the almonds into small pieces.
In a small pan, gently heat the honey, vanilla and spice until melted together, then add apples and turn heat down very low allowing to soften – about 15 minutes. Then transfer to a large mixing bowl.
Add the chopped almonds and avocado and gently toss together. Serve immediately.
- This recipe would be equally suited to firm pears instead of apples and is lovely served with some buttered sourdough fingers.
- If nut allergies are an issue, replace the almonds with sunflower seeds.
- This recipe was created by Katie Rainbird for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.