Quinoa, walnut, feta and pomegranate salad recipe
Quinoa is such a versatile ingredient and is a great base for a nutritious and tasty salad. Here, the cooked grains are tossed in a balsamic and maple dressing while still warm, ensuring each mouthful is packed with flavour.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts (coarsely chopped)
- 60 g rocket leaves
- 1/2 Spanish onion (finely sliced)
- 100 g feta (crumbled)
- 1 handful fresh mint
- 1/2 pomegranate
- 1 1/2 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbs maple syrup
Rinse quinoa under running water for a couple of minutes until water runs clear.
Place quinoa in a saucepan. Top with 1.5 cups of boiling water. Cover with a lid and simmer for 12 minutes over low heat. When all of the water has been absorbed and the quinoa is tender, leave for 5 minutes. Remove lid and fluff up grains with a fork.
While quinoa is cooking, make dressing by whisking together ingredients. After fluffing up the grains, transfer quinoa to a large bowl, pour over dressing and stir gently to combine. Leave to cool.
When you are ready to eat, stir remaining ingredients through dressed quinoa and serve.
- While this salad would make an adequate meal on its own, it is also delicious served alongside grilled chicken, lamb or fish.
- The easiest way to remove pomegranate seeds is to cup a half, cut side down, in your palm. Pound the pomegranate with a wooden spoon. The seeds will fall into your hand.
- Cooked quinoa can be stored in the freezer.
- This recipe was created by Greer Worsley for Kidspot.