Healthy chicken pot pie recipe
If you love a good chicken pie but like to keep it light and healthy this pot pie is just what the doctor ordered.
- spray oil spray
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 400 g chicken breast (finely diced)
- 1 onion (medium, finely chopped)
- 2 celery stalk (finely chopped)
- 1 carrot (large, finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas (thawed)
- 1 tsp sage
- 2 tbs wholemeal flour
- 1 cup chicken stock (liquid)
- 1 cup skim milk
- 6 sheet filo pastry sheets
Heat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced) and add a baking tray (sometimes the pies dribble over the side so the baking tray is only there to keep your oven clean). Spray a shallow pie dish with cooking oil.
Heat a large non-stick frying pan to medium-high heat, add oil, chicken, onion, celery and carrot. Cook for 6-8 minutes until vegetables have softened.
Add peas, sage and flour and stir through to ensure flour has been incorporated.
Add stock and milk and simmer until sauce thickens (about 5 minutes).
Check for seasoning and transfer mixture to pie dish.
Spray filo pastry with oil and scrunch into balls, placing on top of chicken mixture.
Bake for 20-25 minutes until filo is golden brown.
- This lovely pie is creamy and filling yet light. The filling is packed with vegetables, lean chicken breast and a thick creamy sauce using low-fat milk – not a skerrick of cream in sight! The normal higher fat puff pastry or short crust pastry has been replaced with low-fat filo which is light, crispy and really tasty.
- Add chopped leeks and a little chopped ham to the chicken filling for a different flavour.
- This recipe was created by Jay Rogers for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.