Spicy mango chutney recipe
Summer isn't summer without mangoes. Give them a savoury twist and whip up a batch of this delicious spicy mango chutney to give to friends and colleagues as Christmas gifts.
- 4 mango
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs ginger (grated)
- 2 clove garlic (crushed)
- 1 fresh long red chilli (finely diced)
- 1 brown onion (sliced)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 4 whole cloves (ground)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Saute ginger, garlic, chilli and onion for 4 minutes, being careful not to brown onion. Add spices and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
Add mango, sugars and vinegar to saucepan. Stir well. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for approximately 30-40 minutes over very low heat. Check it regularly to make sure it’s not catching on the bottom.
Sterilise jars by placing them in a saucepan of boiling water for 5 minutes. Carefully remove them with a pair of tongs. Drain then dry in a low oven. Fill while still warm with hot mango chutney. Seal immediately with lids.
- Make sure your mangoes are lovely and ripe with firm flesh.
- Chutney should keep for several months in the cupboard, but refrigerate after opening.
- Spice it up to suit your taste - you can add extra chilli for a bigger hit if you prefer.
- This recipe was created by Greer Worsley.
Related Christmas recipes:
- Christmas-style coleslaw
- Christmas burgers with the lot
- Easy Christmas turkey
- Simple Christmas terrine
- Glazed baked ham
- Cranberry, prosciutto and pistacho stuffing
- Christmas ham
- Christmas tree biscuits
- Christmas pastry wreaths
- Sneaky mini Christmas puddings
- Easy Christmas pudding ice-cream
- Christmas cookies
- Christmas cupcakes with butter frosting
- Boiled Christmas pudding with brandy custard