Peppermint meringue kisses recipe
These little peppermint and vanilla scented meringue kisses are so easy to make, delicious to eat, and they always bring to mind the Christmas carol, 'Silver Bells'.
- 3 egg whites
- 150 g caster sugar
- 1 tsp peppermint essence
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- silver cachous
Preheat the oven to 100°C (80°C fan-forced) and line a large baking tray with baking paper. Place the egg whites into a large, clean mixing bowl. Begin whisking on a high speed them either with a stand mixer or an electric hand mixer, until medium peaks form, about 3-4 minutes.
Slowly begin adding the sugar, one dessert spoonful at a time, whisking for about 20 seconds between each spoonful. This will take up to 10 minutes to do.
Stop the mixer and rub a little of the meringue between your fingers. If you can feel any grains of sugar, continue whisking on a high speed for a few minutes and check again. Continue until the sugar is completely dissolved.
Add the peppermint and vanilla to the meringue and whisk again to incorporate. Then transfer the mixture to a piping bag fitted with a large, round nozzle (2cm). Pipe out mounds of meringue onto the lined baking sheet, lifting the piping bag at the end of each to form a little peak.
Bake the meringues for 35-40 minutes, or until crisp on the outside and lifting away cleanly and easily from the baking paper. Let them cool completely on the tray, and then serve.
- If you don't have a piping bag on hand, you could use a Ziploc bag instead by cutting the corner off to pipe the mixture.
- These lovely little kisses look very sweet sprinkled with cachous.
- Store any leftover meringues in an airtight container.
Related Christmas recipes:
- Christmas-style coleslaw
- Christmas burgers with the lot
- Easy Christmas turkey
- Simple Christmas terrine
- Glazed baked ham
- Cranberry, prosciutto and pistacho stuffing
- Christmas ham
- Christmas tree biscuits
- Christmas pastry wreaths
- Sneaky mini Christmas puddings
- Easy Christmas pudding ice-cream
- Christmas cookies
- Christmas cupcakes with butter frosting
- Boiled Christmas pudding with brandy custard