Alphabet soup recipe
Somewhere between a soup and a hearty bowl of pasta, but with the added novelty of alphabet noodles, this is a great way to get wholesome broths into the kids. They’ll love it for an easy midweek meal on a cool winter’s night or any time of year.
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 1 carrot (diced)
- 1 potato (peeled)
- 6 cup chicken stock (liquid)
- 1/2 cup pasta
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup leftover cooked chicken
- 1 long green shallots (sliced)
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, carrots and potato, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
Add stock and bring to the boil.
Add pasta and cook for 8 minutes until just cooked and vegetables are tender.
Add zucchini, peas and chicken and cook for a further minute or two until warmed through. Serve topped with sliced shallots.
- My kids love taking this in thermoses to school for winter lunches.
- You can use any small pasta - or try some of the novelty pastas that are available if it’ll keep the kids interested.
- Omit the chicken and use vegetable stock for a vegetarian version.
- This recipe was created by Greer Worsley for Kidspot.