Thai seafood salad recipe
Fresh, zesty and overflowing with flavour, this Thai seafood salad is a breeze to prepare and is bound to impress on Christmas Day. Prepare the marinade ahead of time, then it’s just a case of throwing the seafood on the barbie, a quick toss and lunch is served!
- 1/2 kg green prawns (peeled, deveined, tails intact)
- 1 squid tube (cleaned, finely sliced)
- 400 g firm fish fillets
- 1 punnet cherry tomato
- 1 Lebanese cucumber
- coriander (for topping)
- mint (for topping)
- lime (cut into wedges, for topping)
- 1 bunch coriander (washed, roughly chopped)
- 1/2 bunch mint (roughly chopped)
- 1 long red chilli (seeds removed, roughly chopped)
- 4 clove garlic (crushed)
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 2 tbs lime juice
- 1 tbs fish sauce
- 1 tbs brown sugar
Make dressing by blitzing all ingredients in a food processor.
Heat a barbecue or grill plate over high heat. Toss seafood in a little oil. Cook calamari for a couple of minutes until just cooked through. Remove to a bowl. Cook prawns for 1-2 minutes each side. Add to bowl with calamari. Cook fish for 3-4 minutes each side, depending on thickness, until just cooked. Allow to cool slightly then flake carefully into chunks.
Carefully fold dressing through seafood using a large spoon.
Halve cherry tomatoes and dice cucumber. Add to seafood and fold through. Spoon salad out onto a serving plate and garnish with extra herbs, sliced chilli and lime wedges.
- Choose seafood according to your taste. Mussels, scallops and even lobster would be great.
- Choose a firm white fish, e.g. Blue-eye Trevalla.
- Feeding a crowd? Buy extra seafood and simply double the quantities in the dressing.
- The long red chilli makes this mildly spiced. If you like your Thai salads hot, add a couple of bird's eye chillis instead.
- This recipe was created by Greer Worsley for Kidspot.
Related Christmas recipes:
- Christmas-style coleslaw
- Christmas burgers with the lot
- Easy Christmas turkey
- Simple Christmas terrine
- Glazed baked ham
- Cranberry, prosciutto and pistacho stuffing
- Christmas ham
- Christmas tree biscuits
- Christmas pastry wreaths
- Sneaky mini Christmas puddings
- Easy Christmas pudding ice-cream
- Christmas cookies
- Christmas cupcakes with butter frosting
- Boiled Christmas pudding with brandy custard