Zucchini fries recipe
These baked zucchini fries make a change from the potato version, and they’re a lot healthier as well. You might even be able to convince the kids that they’re regular chips!
- 4 zucchini
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup parmesan (grated)
- 1 tbs fresh mixed herbs (chopped)
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup plain flour
Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan-forced). Wash zucchini and cut in half lengthwise, then in half or thirds again, depending on how thick. If zucchini are extra long, you can halve them horizontally as well.
Make coating by combining breadcrumbs with parmesan and herbs. Season well. Combine egg and milk together in a separate bowl.
Coat zucchini by first dusting pieces lightly in flour. Then dip in the egg mix. Finally, coat well with breadcrumb mixture.
Place crumbed zucchini on an oven tray lined with baking paper. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and crispy. Serve with a dipping sauce of your choice.
- I used a spiced yoghurt dipping sauce. Sour cream and sweet chilli sauce would also be delicious.
- Choose smaller zucchini - this way the pieces will crisp up on the outside without going soggy in the middle.
- Make gluten free with a corn or rice crumb mixture (available in supermarkets) and gluten-free flour for dusting.
- This recipe was created by Greer Worsley for Kidspot.