Choc drizzled muesli bars recipe
Looking for a healthy lunch box treat your kids will love? Here's a yummy muesli bar with just enough chocolate drizzled on top to make it feel like a treat. Delish!
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup pecans (chopped)
- 1/2 cup whole almonds (skinless)
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup dried blueberries
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 50 g dark chocolate (melted)
Grease and line a 20cm square baking tin with baking paper, leaving some overhang on each side.
Place the oats, nuts, coconut and fruits into a large mixing bowl.
Combine the honey, sugar, coconut oil, cinnamon and salt in a small saucepan and place over a medium heat, until the mixture begins to bubble at the edges.
Pour the honey mixture into the dry ingredients and stir very well until everything is coated.
Scoop the mixture into the lined pan and press the mixture down into the edges. Keep pressing the mixture very firmly for longer than you think is necessary – this is what will stop the bars from falling apart.
Place the bars into the fridge to set for at least an hour. When the bars are totally chilled, remove from the tin using the baking paper overhang to lift them out, and then slice into 10 bars and drizzle lightly with the melted chocolate. Place back in the fridge to set and then serve.
- For a gluten-free version, I like to use a combination of puffed brown rice and quinoa flakes in place of the oats.
- These keep well in an air-tight container in the fridge for about a week.
- This recipe was created by Sarah Coates for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.