Cauliflower fried rice recipe
If you’ve gone grain-free but don’t want to miss out on your favourite rice dish, use blitzed cauliflower as a tasty alternative in this delicious cauliflower fried rice.
- 1/4 cauliflower
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 2 tbs tamari
- 1/2 brown onion (diced)
- 3 strip bacon (sliced into strips)
- 2 clove garlic (crushed)
- 1 tbs ginger (minced)
- 1 head broccoli (broken into florets)
- 1/2 red capsicum (diced)
- 1 tbs fish sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 spring onion (sliced)
- 1 long fresh red chilli (finely sliced)
Break cauliflower up into florets and place in a food processor. Blitz to form coarse ‘rice’.
Heat 1 tbs oil in a wok over high heat. Combine beaten eggs with 1 tsp of tamari. When oil is very hot, pour in eggs and swirl wok to coat evenly. Leave for 30 seconds until set. Turn out onto a board. Allow to cool slightly, then roll up and slice into 1cm ribbons.
Heat remaining oil in wok over medium-high heat. Cook onion and bacon for 2 minutes until onion is translucent. Add garlic and ginger and cook for a further minute, stirring continuously. Add broccoli and capsicum and cook for 2 minutes until broccoli is just tender.
Add cauliflower ‘rice’ to wok. Stir well to combine. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add remaining tamari and fish sauce. Toss wok until everything is cooked and well combined. Drizzle with sesame oil and serve topped with sliced spring onions and red chilli.
- Most soy sauces contain some gluten, so you can use regular soy sauce instead of tamari if gluten doesn’t bother you.
- Add extra veggies if you like - mushrooms, peas, spinach and Asian greens would all work well.
- Pile on the herbs for a bigger green hit - coriander, chives and Thai basil are a great idea.
- This recipe was created by Greer Worsley for Kidspot.