Potato pancakes recipe
Potato pancakes are a great comfort food packed with crunch and flavour. These are an easy and inexpensive way to feed the family, and we've even added sweet potato to this recipe, just for fun!
- 500 g desiree potato (peeled, grated)
- 500 g sweet potato (peeled, grated)
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 2 unit eggs (lightly beaten)
- 4 unit spring onion (washed, sliced)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- oil (for frying)
- sour cream (*to serve)
- beetroot (*to serve, chopped)
- salad leaves (*to serve)
Combine all the ingredients except the oil in a mixing bowl. Heat 2-3mm of oil in a non-stick frying pan on high.
Place a spoonful of potato mixture into the hot oil and gently flatten. For a perfect shape use a deep egg ring. Allow a crust to form on the bottom before attempting to move or turn them. It should take around 5 minutes, each side, on a medium-high heat.
Remove potato patties from the pan and drain well on paper towel. Repeat until all the mixture is used. Serve with sour cream, beetroot and salad leaves.
- Any variation of side salads will work here (we love beetroot) and cottage cheese is a healthy, tasty substitute for sour cream.
- Kids have plenty of jobs for this recipe, like peeling and grating potatoes, cracking and beating eggs, washing spring onions, measuring the flour and mixing the ingredients together. Maybe leave the hot oil to the adults.
- >This recipe was created by Adam Clements for Kidspot.