Sushi burgers recipe
Once you get the hang of making sushi, it’s a cinch! These sushi burgers have all your favourite sushi stalwarts included and are a hit whether they’re on a party table or in a lunch box.
- 1 cup sushi rice
- 1/2 sachet vinegar powder
- 3 pork schnitzels
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 1 cup panko dried breadcrumbs
- 1 avocado
- 1 oak leaf lettuce
- 1 Japanese mayonnaise
- 1 black sesame seeds
- 1 pickled ginger
- 1 wasabi paste
- 1 nori seaweed
Place rice into a saucepan with 11/2 cups of water and bring to boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Place lid on and simmer for 12-15 minutes. The rice will soak up all the water (no draining required) but keep an eye on it as it can quickly stick and burn. When rice is warm to touch, sprinkle over vinegar powder and mix thoroughly. Take your little burger mould, wet the mould and wet your hands and press rice into mould. The rice should be compacted in but should also easily come out of the mould. Repeat until all rice has been used. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
Dip thin pork schnitzels into flour, egg and then the panko breadcrumbs and fry for about 3 minutes on each side until golden. Set aside.
To assemble; evenly spread avocado onto one sushi ‘bun’, top with oak lettuce, pork schnitzel and mayonnaise and add ‘bun’ top. Sprinkle with seeds and serve with ginger and wasabi. Decorate with nori.
- You can find vinegar powder in Asian grocers that stock Japanese foods or online. Alternatively you can mix ¼ cup of rice vinegar with a tablespoon sugar and boil until rice vinegar has dissolved (this measurement is for 1 cup of uncooked rice).
- Try different fillings for the burger, depending on what you like!
- This recipe was created by Trish Gallagher for Kidspot.