Fried rice recipe
4 kids or two adults
Egg free, Nut free
- 1 teaspoon Chinese black vinegar (available at any Asian grocery store)
- 1 tablespoon sweet soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup bacon, diced small
- 1/3 cup carrot, diced small
- ½ cup capsicum, diced small
- 1/3 cup celery, diced small
- 4 prawns, shelled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 2 cups cooked rice
In a small bowl combine the vinegar and sweet soy, stir to combine then put to one side.
Heat wok on high heat until very hot.
Add oil, followed by onion and garlic, sauté until softened 1-2 minutes.
Add bacon and stir to combine.
After a few minutes, add vegetables, prawns and fish sauce, tossing to combine and leave to cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally
Add cooked rice, breaking apart any lumps while adding.
Toss rice through mixture, tossing frequently so rice doesn’t stick to the bottom.
Heat through for 5 minutes, then remove from the heat, pour over the vinegar sauce, stir well to combine then serve.
- Fried rice it is always a lot easier with precooked rice – you have less chance of the rice breaking down while ‘frying’ it, if it has dried out a little in the fridge.
- Always remember to cut your vegetables and meat the same size for even cooking.
- If you don’t have Chinese black vinegar, you can use rice wine or even lemon juice instead.
- Recipe created by Camilla Baker for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.