Date & Nut Muffins recipe
Makes 20-24 muffins
- 250g pitted dates, roughly chopped
- 1+1/3 cups water
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 100g butter, melted
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1. Place dates and water in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally until water boils. Reduce heat to med-low, cook for 5 mins. Remove to a bowl to cool for 15 mins.
2. Preheat oven to 170C. Grease 2 x 12-hole muffin pans.
3. Stir sugar, butter and eggs into dates. Sift flour and nutmeg over date mix. Stir gently to combine, then fold in nuts.
4. Spoon mix into muffin holes and bake for approx. 25 mins, or until skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Swap trays on oven racks after 18-20mins baking.
5. Cool in pan for 5 mins, before turning out to cool on a wire rack. 6. Serve alone, or with Golden Syrup, jam or butter.