Spaghetti bolognaise recipe
Egg free, Nut free
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 700g beef mince
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large brown onion, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cups carrot, grated
- 1 cup zucchini, grated
- 400g fresh tomato, diced (or 1x400g tin whole tomatoes, drained)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 50g butter, chopped in four
Place a large, heavy bottomed frying pan on high heat.
Add oil and swirl to cover pan, when it’s very hot add mince, salt and pepper and brown- cook for about 5 minutes or until meat juices have evaporated, stirring occasionally.
Add onion and sauté for 1-2 minutes
Add garlic and tomato paste, stirring to coat the meat.
Once tomato paste has started sticking to the bottom of the pan and the meat is reddish, add the carrot, zucchini and diced tomato.
Stir to thoroughly combine then add oregano, bay leaves and butter.
Place a lid on top, bring to the boil then turn the heat down to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Check for seasoning then leave to rest for 5-10 minutes for flavours to meld.
Cook pasta according to packet instructions and serve meat sauce over pasta garnished with grated parmesan cheese.
- This a family favorite - I had a lot of tomatoes going bad so this was a great way to use them up.
- The butter at the end really gives this sauce a richer taste, however if you are not happy with the addition, simply leave it out.
- This recipe also works well with minced lamb and pork.
- Recipe created by Camilla Baker for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.