Baby sushi recipe
Egg free, Gluten free, Lactose free, Nut free
- 1 cup sushi rice
- 1 ½ cups water
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 sheets nori (don’t mention it’s seaweed!)
- bamboo mat
- carrot sticks
- cucumber sticks
- cooked beef or chicken
- avocado slices
- soy sauce and pickled ginger, to serve
Place rice and water in a saucepan, cover and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to a simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off heat and leave for 10 minutes covered.
Spread rice into a container and allow to cool, then sprinkle with combined vinegar and sugar. Stir thoroughly.
Use scissors to cut a sheet of nori in half. Place nori shiny side down on the bamboo mat. Place some of the rice on the sheet, press down with wet fingers to a depth of 0.5cm, leaving a 1cm gap at one end. Arrange fillings on top of the rice.
Start rolling up from the end with fillings. Lift the bamboo mat and roll tightly. Wet the strip at the end and push gently to seal the edges. Slice into six or eight pieces using a sharp, wet knife.
Place on a serving platter, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30-60 minutes to allow the nori to soften.
Serve with soy sauce and pickled ginger.
- The kids will love helping prepare these sushi rolls. And the baby pieces are a great way to introduce sushi to the little ones. Although my daughter insists she likes the large hand rolls, like in the shops.
- I like to lay the filling on top of the rice, but it might make it easier for the kids if you finely chop the filling and stir it through the rice. This would be a good way to sneak in some fish, prawns and ‘unmentionable vegetables’.
- Leftover Chicken strips were fantastic in these sushi rolls.
- Thanks to our sister company Kidspot Australia for creating the instructional video.
- Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.