5 - 6 years understanding the world
By Ella Walsh |
At this age, your child is beginning to be able to understand that there are differences between everyone and that they can happily co-exist.
- While she now understands the concept of time, she cannot yet tell the time. She is great at sorting objects by shape, size and colour.
- When she draws a person, she now includes a head with hair, eyes, nose and mouth, a body, arms and legs.
- She can draw a house with doors, windows and a roof.
- She now knows how to write some letters and can copy the ones she's not sure of.
- She can recognise and name four colours.
- She is pre-reading - she can read single letters but may not be able to put them together to read them in combination as a word.
- By 6 years, she can arrange objects in order - smallest to largest, shortest to longest and lightest to heaviest.
How can I encourage her understanding of the world?
- At this age, she will want to know a lot of facts to understand her world. When she asks questions, take the time to give her an answer that will satisfy her curiosity.