Vegetarian chilli con carne
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 800g potatoes, washed, dried and cubed
- 1 tsp smoky paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2-1 tsp chilli powder (optional)
- 1 tin (400g) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup (250ml) vegetable stock
- 1 can (400g) brown lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup light sour cream
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 tbsp coriander, chopped
- 1 lime, quartered
Heat oil in large fry pan or saucepan and add onion, garlic and ginger with a pinch of salt. Cook on low heat for 8-10 minutes until onions are soft and translucent.
Add potatoes, paprika, cumin and chilli powder and stir through well. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring every now and then to make sure the potatoes donÛªt catch on the bottom of the pan. Add tomatoes, stock and lentils, stir through and bring to the boil.
Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes until potatoes are cooked and sauce has thickened ÛÒ again, stir every now and then to make sure the potatoes arenÛªt catching on the bottom of the pan.
Serve this up in big bowls with slices of avocado, a dollop of light sour cream, a sprinkling of coriander and aåÊspritzåÊof lime.
- This works really well in winter if you pop it in the slow cooker so everyone can serve themselves when they are ready.
- You can also serve this withåÊguacamoleåÊand corn chips.
- This recipe was created by Jay Rogers for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder: You can follow Jay atåÊThe Moodie FoodieåÊand onåÊFacebook,åÊTwitteråÊoråÊPinterest.